Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tote & Book Swap Sent- Pt. 1

I organized a swap this month with a tote and book theme and, as we had an odd amount of people sign up, I got two partners. I dedicated the first part of the month to Tara. I stalked her Flickr favorites to get an understanding of what she liked and settled on a plus block pattern.


I like the idea of using quilt blocks for totes. It's like hauling a mini quilt around- it just looks comforting. Tara expressed that she liked citrus-y colors like yellow, orange and lime. I pulled out some bright fabrics in those colors and added some pink and turquoise, as well as some text prints, to ensure that no two prints of the same color were ever touching. I used this technique for the piecing, which is absolutely brilliant! Made my job a lot easier and the final result was perfection.


I also made her a little pencil pouch with the leftover cuts and threw in some goodies like highlighters, stamps, ink pad and some adorable washi tape. The book I sent was book one (City of Bones) from one of my favorite series, The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. From what I knew about the books Tara had read, I knew she would enjoy this one. They are casting for the movie right now and it will be out next year. I'm so excited!



Cassandra Clare also has another series, also about Shadowhunters, called The Infernal Devices. This series is set in Victorian London and I just fell in love with it. I really recommend both series. If you liked Twilight and The Hunger Games, you'll love these books!


I have finished the tote for my second partner and it is going in the mail first thing tomorrow. As soon as she receives it, I will be sharing pictures with you!

On a side note- I hit 700 followers today! Yay!! I think a giveway is in order. What would you like to have a chance at winning??

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Bonnie! The bag and pouch are lovely, your partner is very lucky! Thanks for the book recommendations as well, they sound exactly like my kind of thing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tote - the colours are fabulous!
    Thanks for the book recommendation - I don't know this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love a good book recommendation - sounds very good. Gorgeous bag and your partner sounds very lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bag is gorgeous!!!! What a fun thing to carry on outings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything (as usual) looks fabulous. Where did you find that text print - is it newspaper or encyclopedia? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering how you got everything so perfectly aligned! It looks amazing in person :) Do you mind sharing what interfacing you used?

    ReplyDelete
  7. adorable! congrats on over 700~!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!